The Eastern Michigan University Choral Department wants to help find additional choral music resources for teachers and professional musicians alike. The below page describes several ways in which we reach out to composers, teachers and choral music enthusiasts.
2018-2019 Winner, White Moon by Luke Flynn
Eastern Michigan University Choir
2019-2020 International Choral Composition Competition
The Eastern Michigan University Choral Composition Competition prize will be awarded to the first-place winner in the Choral Composition Contest. Sponsored by the Eastern Michigan University Choral Department. The goals of this program are to support composers of new music and to offer high quality, new literature for high school music education settings.
Entry Fee: $15
Checks and money orders can be mailed. For your convenience, electronic payment is available.
Currency: U.S. Dollar (USD)
Postmark Deadline: November 1, 2019
- Mixed choir (SATB) limited division is acceptable
- Unaccompanied, or keyboard accompaniment
- Two to five minutes' duration
- Unpublished works only
- Rights to text must be cleared, and evidence of copyright holder's permission must be shown.
- Choral music suitable for high school ensembles
- Eastern Michigan University faculty and staff are not eligible
- Multiple submissions are permissible
- Sound files or links to recordings are encouraged
- Prize money will not be awarded if no composition is deemed worthy.
- Winner will be contacted via email, February 1, 2020
- Finalists will be announced at by February 1, 2020
- The winning submission will be performed multiple times as a part of the repertoire for the 2020 National Tour through Michigan, Ohio & the Western United States.
Submission and Return Guidelines
Entry fee of $15 per score. Make checks payable to Eastern Michigan University Choir.
Size of manuscript must not exceed 8 1/2" by 11."
All scores selected for performance will be reproduced by Eastern Michigan University and all copies destroyed after the concert.
No scores will be returned unless a self-addressed mailer and postage are provided.
Mail entry to:
Dr. Brandon Johnson
Eastern Michigan University Choral Department
N 101 Alexander Building
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
Electronic submissions can be made to: email@example.com
Student Organizations and Chapters
We want our students to be engaged with professional organizations from the beginning of their academic careers so students can begin to get a feel for what their future careers will like. Through these organizations students will meet other students who will become their colleagues for years to come. Each organization offers a wide array of services and mentorship programs.
The EMU faculty has seen a need for low-cost high-quality editions of choral music. The below choral repertoire are editions by EMU Faculty or are projects by advanced music students that have been overseen by the EMU Choral Faculty. Each piece comes with an extended narrative that includes musicological and pedagogical perspectives. We believe we are creating editions for real-world teaching situations.
- SATB Laetatus Sum- Grzegorz Gorczycki
- SATB Domine ad Aduvandum Me Festina- G.B. Martini
- TB Don't Marry Me, from Flower Drum Song
Music Theory and Sight Singing
Students of all levels who wish to strengthen music theory skills should visit musictheory.net. This is an excellent resource for you regardless of your background. It provides both instruction and exercises for practice.
The EMU Choral Program teaches primarily moveable do solfege and la based minor. There are a variety of very useful sight-reading methods but these are taught and perfected here at EMU.
Here are a few online resources to help you.
The below list is to help teachers grow on the variety of topics that surround choral music.
- Choral Score Study
- Choral Master Plan
- Rehearsal techniques
- Sequencing for an effective choral rehearsal
- Effective Conducting Gesture for the Secondary Teacher
- Use of solfege in choral rehearsal