Please visit the EMU Music & Dance Advising video playlist for more information.

Welcome to Music & Dance academic advising.

We are committed to helping students navigate the, sometimes complex, educational pathways. This page is to help answer academic advising related questions. Remember that it is essential to have a firm grasp of the program's exact details for which you are enrolled. The advisor is available to help with specific uniqueness in your plan. Please use the below resources to educate yourself thoroughly before you set up an advising appointment. Note that information specific to Dance may require you to speak to  Dr. Jerome-Wilkinson, the advisor for that major; information specific to Music Therapy may require you to speak to Dr. Gombert, the advisor for that major. Their information is at the bottom of this page.


Common Advising Questions

Which course should I take next semester?

This question is best answered yourself depending on your academic program. Please use the Degree Frame found in the forms section (Undergraduate Advising) to help you set up your schedule. Another great tool is the Degree Catalog PDF. If you go to your program there will be a small icon on the top right that looks like a paper with writing.  If you click it, you will get a very clear pdf of which classes you will need to complete. 

How do I get an "Override" into a course?

There are two options to receive override permssions. The email option is preferred. 

1. Fill out the information on the OVERRIDE FORM and then seek permission from the professor. The professor must sign the form (a virtual signature is fine) then the form must be sent to Dr. Barrick, Director of the School of Music & Dance for approval. Please email the form with a short explanation as to why the override is necessary.

2. You can send and email with the below information to the the instructor and once permission is given they can forward this to the Director of the School of Music. 

Override Request
Student Name:  
Student Email: 
Reason for Override (if known): 

I am getting an error message when I try to register

This is a common problem having to do with the details of your declared program. Please check your declared major. If your major is declared correctly, use an override form found in the forms section.  If your major is not listed correctly, you will need to make sure you have permission to be in the desired degree. If you need to make an change to your declared major you will need to ensure you have been give permission to be admitted into the new program.  Please have you the head of the area (your applied teacher for performance, Dr. Schouldice or Dr. Schnieder for Music Ed, or Dr. Gobert for Music Therapy) send a message to the School of Music and Dance advisor if you desire to change. 

I want to change or declare my music major.

If your online transcript doesn't have your music or dance major correctly listed, your registration for courses could be affected with an error message. Please send an email to the major professor (and cc' Dr. Johnson) of that area confirming that you have been given permission to change into the new major. Once permission have been confirmed the student will fill out this form.

Can I get a double major in Music Education and Music Performance?

The short answer is yes. To earn two majors at EMU you must have 30 unique credits in both majors. Students are only awarded one bachelor's degree, in this case, a BM or BME. To pursue this, you must understand that it could add time to your pathway, but it is possible. The education sequence is 36 credits that are not included in the Music Performance curricula, Please see the music advisor if you would like to consider this route. 

How do I set up an independent study with my favorite professor?

The first step is to schedule a meeting with the professor to see if they have the time available. Faculty are not compensated for this time but are often excited to help you pursue your interests. Next, you will need to fill out the Independent Study Contract found in the forms section. The student and supervising faculty need to sign it before it is sent to Dr. Johnson for approval.

I need a reminder on how to register for courses.

  1. Log into your my.emich account
  2. Select the Student tab at the top
  3. Select Registration
  4. Select look up classes
  5. Choose the semester for which you intend to register (i.e. Winter 2020)
  6. Find the subject of the course you need (i.e., MUSC, AMUS, MUED, MUEN, etc.) and select course search
  7. Click on view sections for the course number and title that corresponds with the class you need
  8. Find the section you would like and write down the CRN number to add the course later. Once you have the CRN numbers, go to my.emich, student tab, registration, and add or drop courses. At the bottom of this page, you will see boxes. Type CRNs into the boxes (one CRN per box).
  9. Click on submit changes, and the system will register you for your courses.

I need a reminder on how to find a course.

Use this step-by-step guide to find the courses you need:

  1. Go to the catalog website.
  2. Find your degree program listing (use search field or scroll through a list of "Academic Programs").
  3. Scroll down the program listing to see the required courses listed.
  4. Click on a course link.
  5. At the bottom of the pop-up window, find the links to offerings for that course.
  6. Choose the term you want and click the link, e.g., "Click here for Winter 2018 Course Offerings". Detailed course listings are given — note the five-digit CRN number for the section you want. Go to your my.emich page and register for the course you chose using the CRN number.

I am a new Graduate Student, what's next? 

Upon admission to the School of Music and Dance, each student will consult with their major professor in planning a curriculum. Please review the course rotation, sample program of study, and other forms provided through the forms page in the Graduate Advising drop-down. 

Use this step-by-step guide to find the courses you need:

  1. Click on the Master of Music catalog description.
  2. Read carefully, the program details.
  3. In the top left of the catalog description, you will see four boxes. Click the first that looks like a piece of paper. This will generate your degree planner. Use this tool and the Course Rotation guide found in the FORMS link to create a tentative program of study. This will allow you to envision your next several semesters of study.
  4. Follow the directions for above question number five to try to register for classes.
  5. If you get an error message, please follow the above question number two, likely you are not yet in the correct major. Please email [email protected] if the issue persists. It is not uncommon for this process to take a while.  Please be patient, the graduate classes do not fill so there is no need to feel anxious about registering.

Additional Resources

Music Advising Contacts

Skip Section Navigation