An email list lets you send a common message to more than 25 email addresses simultaneously. If your message recipient list exceeds the Gmail Group limit of 25 recipients per message, an email list will facilitate communications with a larger group of recipients. There are basically two types of mailing lists:
- Discussion mailing list: This type of mailing list allows many people to discuss a common topic using email. Any subscriber or member can post messages or reply to a posting. Every member can view all of the messages and replies. These lists can be cumbersome to manage.
- Announcement-only mailing list: These lists are designed to send one-way messages to the subscribers or members. The owner of the list (also called the list administrator) determines who can be added to the list, by manual entry or by individual subscription. The owner also determines who is allowed to send messages to the group. Group members can respond to a sender, but not the entire group.
Obtaining EMU Email Addresses From Banner
If you already have the list of EMU email addresses that you want to include as subscribers to your email list, proceed to the next section.
If you wish to obtain email addresses from Banner, you must request the data using the "Mailing Label and Data Extract process". This process must be used because it includes policy/legal compliance review steps required when working with personal data. Once you have the list of email addresses that will be subscribers to your list, you may proceed to request an email list.
To request an email list, submit a request via email to the IT Help Desk ([email protected]) that includes all of the following information:
- Your Name and EMU NetID. You will be assigned responsibility as the List Administrator and are required to adhere to the EMU Acceptable Use Policy.
- Your department or EMU organization
- Some possible list names for the mailing list; e.g. Political-Science-Majors or Technology-Job-Fair
- Will the list be used as a discussion list or an announcement-only list?
- A brief description of how the mailing list will be used (no more than two or three sentences are required).
- Do you have the list of EMU email addresses for your list already available? (If not, see "Obtaining EMU Email Addresses from Banner" section above. To avoid confusion, please do not submit the list creation request until you have the email addresses for your list.)
Your request will be assigned to the appropriate IT personnel who will create the mailing list and may follow up with you to answer questions. The system will email you initial login information when the list has been created.
Note: Be advised per the EMU Acceptable Use Policy in PolicyTech, EMU communication resources may not be used to send unsolicited bulk email - commonly referred to as "junk mail" or SPAM.
The Target Audience for Our Mailing List Documentation:
Any individual responsible for the administration of a Sympa mailing list at Eastern Michigan University.
Note: Individual and group consultation is available. Please send us an email message if you are interested in a mailing list training session for your area. Email us at [email protected]. The instructions in this training will work on Mac OS and PC-based Internet browsers.