Bringing a Computer to Campus
Here are some guidelines on what to bring and where to get more information if needed.
Buying a new computer?
EMU has arranged for educational discounts on Dell and Apple computers. Visit the Dell or Apple websites for EMU specific discounts on computers and software. If you prefer other vendors, be sure to ask for the student or educational discounts.
Refurbished computers are also available for purchase on campus from Digital Inclusion.
The University's Microsoft campus license also allows students, faculty, and staff to install Microsoft Office (Windows, Mac and mobile device versions) at no cost. To obtain the software, login using your EMU email address ([email protected]) and NetID password and then follow the instructions on the page to download and install the application.
What to bring:
- Computer, monitor, printer, peripherals, and power cords
- Surge protector or UPS
- Device cables (USB, Firewire, Printer, etc.)
- Printer, printer paper, and ink refills
- Ethernet switch, if you are planning to connect more than one device to the wired network. (Please note: routers are not permitted)
- Computer cable lock
Computers connected to ResNet must have up-to-date antivirus software installed.
Most ISPs (Internet Service Providers) offer free or reduced price antivirus solutions to their customers. Check with your home ISP to see what they offer.
If your ISP does not provide free antivirus software, you can try one of the following free antivirus solutions. (Please note that these links are provided for informational purposes only and EMU can not provide support or warranty for the software downloaded from these sites. Links are provided AS IS.)
- avast! antivirus for Windows
- AVG Free for Windows
- Sophos Anti-virus for Mac OS X Home Edition
- ClamXav for Mac OS X
- Windows Defender (included in Windows 10
- Malwarebytes Home Use for Windows and Mac (Should not be installed on University owned computers).