Personal accounts are not owned or controlled by EMU but are owned or controlled by a person or entity legally differentiated from the university.
- EMU staff member owns and pays for an account with a web service provider and maintains a web site on that company’s web server
- An EMU administrative employee owns a private email account on Yahoo.com
- An EMU faculty member has a private Dropbox account for storing and backing up
Please note: All Board of Regents and I.T. policies listed below are now available in EMU PolicyTech.
- Acceptable Use of Information Technology Resources Policy: 3.1
- Personal and Private Folder Policy 7.3.P.2
Also see the Laws/Regulations/Policies cited in Personal Devices.
Back up support:
- Personally owned devices: Faculty, staff and student CrashPlan licenses should be acquired directly from the vendor. A discount is also available to EMU students and employees when signing up at our emich url with an EMU email address
Using Personal Accounts
The permitted (Yes), the not permitted (No), and those needing to contact I.T. (Contact I.T.) are listed in three columns in the matrix below.
- Attorney/Client Privilege
- All Other Research Data
- I.T. Security Information
- Private Personal Information
- Protected Health Information (HIPAA)
- Student Education Records (FERPA)
- Credit Card Information (PCI)
- Social Security Numbers
- Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA)
- Sensitive Human Subject Research
- Student Loan Application Information (GLBA)
- Other Sensitive University Data
Note: Don't see what you need? Email the I.T. Security Team at [email protected].