Network Drop Orders
Data Outlet Installation Request Process
The Division of Information Technology, in conjunction with the Physical Plant, has completed a time and materials (T&M) contract with vendors for campus data cabling needs. These contractors meet or exceed all required certification levels and are contractually required to follow EMU and industry best practices for data cabling.
To initiate a data drop request, complete the Network Data Outlet Installation Request Form. (Login with NetID and password, if prompted.) This form will automatically create a help desk ticket to track your request.
Note: Unfortunately, the contractors are not permitted to accept orders directly from departments using university purchasing cards. Departments contacting contractors directly will be referred to I.T. for assistance.
- Building name, room number(s), and number of data drops.
- Any additional details or special instructions about the location that may be helpful (For example: is the room only available for installation work on specific days or before/after certain times?)
- Banner Fund/Org/Program codes where the installation cost will be charged.
- Approver email address (if different from the requester, but note that having the signatory submit the request will save time).
- Site contact information - name, email, and phone number of the person that should be contacted for questions about specific location of requested drop(s).
- Location diagrams may be uploaded with the request as file attachments, but are not required.
Requests that do not include the required information above may result in delayed installation. Requests without appropriate fund/org numbers or without approval from an authorized signer will be returned.
Other Relevant Information
Completion time for data drops is typically 1- 2 weeks from receipt of request. However, if a drop needs to be installed by a specific date, note the desired completion date on the request.
The contracts include a "not to exceed" cost of $410 per drop. (The rate increased from $375 to $410 effective February 27, 2023.) This per drop cost may be included on the request. It is generally safe to assume that $410 per drop estimate is accurate for up to four new drops ordered at one time. Should a department need to order more than four drops, contact Ralph Fitzpatrick at 734.487.6404 or [email protected] to request a cost quote as the per drop cost may be slightly lower. In the case where installation is more difficult than normal, the contractor will inform EMU of any additional costs, and those costs will be sent to the requester and signatory for approval before proceeding.
The Division of I.T. does not collect any fees for this service. All costs charged against data drop requests are actual costs billed by the contractor in compliance with their competitively bid contracts.
Should you have any questions about this process, please feel free to email Rocky Jenkins ([email protected]) or Ralph Fitzpatrick ([email protected]).